Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Best way to repair perf damage

  1. #1
    Inactive Member gendreau2's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2004
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    I'm trying to determine the best way to repair extensive perf damage on about 400' of super 8 film. (Holes are stretched over about 80% of the film.) I have been unable to find perf repair tape in rolls for super 8 film, so I am considering bonding a strip of clear leader to the edge only, then trimming off the excess. Can anyone suggest another method, or a source for perf repair tape? For obvious reasons, I am also looking for help in finding someone who can do this for me!

    Thanks,

    Kathy

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's a tough call but time may be on your side (assuming the film is not deteriorating due to poor storage or some type of solution getting onto the film) The two options I would recommend are either a film transfer to video where the speed of the film transfer is slowed way down. This would allow for the film to be transferred frame by frame but actually adjusted before being committed to tape.

    You can try this link Moviestuff they may be able to help you.

    Another option I can think of is to wait (if you believe your film is not deteriorating) and in a couple of years (or sooner) you will probably be able to do desktop scanning of your super-8 film, which would probably give the best result since the film won't actually be moving.

    I just remembered there is a salvage company that actually repairs and restores film but I don't recall the name of the company.

    I hope this info helps you.

    How did the film get damaged in the first place?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You might ought to post this on cinematography.com and see what John Pytlak may suggest.
    There was a mach?ne called Perf Fix and another called Cinebug,but I never saw one for 8mm.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was reading through a Super-8 filmmaker magazine (circa 1980) and saw an ad for a Kodak Ektasound Moviedeck model 265 and 285.

    The ad says "the sprocketless film drive means the film gets gentle handling from start to finish.

    These projectors have been mentioned before on this forum. I wonder if one could get a high quality film to video transfer by using one of these projectors with damaged perf film.

    Warning, these film projectors look like a slide projector and the film "disappears" inside. I don't know how easy it is to retrieve the film if it gets stuck inside.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Warning, these film projectors look like a slide projector and the film "disappears" inside. I don't know how easy it is to retrieve the film if it gets stuck inside
    Not very.Back in the 80's I knew some folks who used these for film to tape and I forget why,but they never had a problem with image flicker,even though the projectors weren't synced.Most of the time they worked flawlessly,but there were some misthreads and the film ended up near the lamp and it made for a nasty meltdown.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member digitalvideos's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 18th, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    maybe this outfit is of interest

    http://www.indeco.com/rhfg

  7. #7
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the link!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •